Tuesday, July 31, 2012

JUSTICE!!!!!


juvenile delinquency
— n
antisocial or criminal conduct by minors

(Dictionary.com)

Punishable by death.....?

OF COURSE IT IS.

How can one argue against hanging a boy for stealing a car his friends peer pressured him into doing? I wish we had more Crosby's in the USA because in my opinion he has the right idea about how to punish children who engage in thievery and/or other harmless yet bothersome criminal behavior. I love his ruthless tone when he admits how he would approve if the law would "String up... teen-age car thieves" and send a picture of them back to their mothers (94). His merciless diction of "String up" provides me with vivid imagery and a quick, effective plan to stop juvenile delinquency. How tired I am of hearing about misdemeanors and blemished records wiped clean once the adolescent reaches 18, Crosby has the right idea. On the other hand, Crosby does make the concession that "the hook's a little extreme" in order to paint himself in a more desirable light (94). I pride myself on being a law-abiding citizen and therefore I must agree that "the hook" seems to fall under the category of "cruel and unusual" which protects convicts from unfair, torturous deaths. I can live with that. However at the two-thirds point in the novel, I have yet to find an event or statement so thoroughly riveting that vibrates soundly with every notion I have ever had in regards to punishment of minors. "An eye for an eye" holds true in capitalistic societies like the USA pre-Obama and obviously in San Lorenzo a car just holds the same value as an immature boy's life...

- Rabindranath

No comments:

Post a Comment