Tuesday, July 31, 2012

In the End... Does it Really Matter?

How come I have to complete this assignment? In total honesty I beg the question, in the grand scheme of things what rank does homework hold? After finishing the story Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut it has made me reconsider my priorities and the importance I place upon day to day tasks. Purely from the context of the story, I discovered a sense of searching from Vonnegut. I believe he felt worthless, or at least made the attempt to appear that way. One of the many themes I unveiled in these pages rocked my world. Not that it has never surfaced in text before or anything like that, Vonnegut just presented a sense of pointlessness to everyday life in an unconventional way that really made me question if I am leading a worthwhile life. I cannot stop pondering the way Bokonon went about his life, it seemed very meaningful, providing hope for his followers, until the end in which he denies his book as all lies, and presumably commits suicide. Furthermore the way Vonnegut had everyone in San Lorenzo perish after a lifetime of suffering but hope in the future through Jonah forces me to believe that Vonnegut hardly valued Bokonon's work and essentially killed him off as well! Although I am reluctant to believe that this human toil was entirely fruitless, perhaps Vonnegut tries to send the message that no human deed lasts. Everything crumble under a greater force. Contradictory to this message however comes with the final sentence where in a positive light Vonnegut tells of Bokonon's desire to thumb his nose at "You Know Who" (287). I am left very perplexed at the end of this story with a great passion to rise up and make my life meaningful yet also feel dejected for as proven in San Lorenzo, all human feats and works eventually fade away. 


- Rabindranath

3 comments:

  1. I also felt perplexed at the end of the novel and decided to continue to construct meaning in an apparent meaningless world, despite the inevitable oblivion. I do not know whether Vonnegut would approve or not, but his discussion of the importance of literature and author's "'sacred obligation to produce... enlightenment'" makes me think he may (231). I believe fictional literature, such as the writing of Vonnegut, acts as the most tangible expression of constructed meaning, and since Vonnegut clearly approves of it, I contend he stands as a proponent of our designed purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonnegut presents few valid points in the end of this novel. Human are indeed important to society in some way. He himself presents this truth in Hoenikker's ice nine which leads to the end of the earth. In this way, Vonnegut loses credibility. Sorry Shoe but I do not agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me that you write with more fire and flair as Rabindranath. This leads into an interesting line of questioning in terms of how you view the purpose of your life and your identity. But luckily, you have all year (and your whole life) to work out those quandaries.

    Your verbs need sharpening. No simple or passive: Rabindranath needs to take his proofreading/revising up a notch.

    ReplyDelete