Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Blame it on the A-a-a-a-a-adolescents!

At long last when on page 80, I found a character who had views similar to my own. A man that believes in people, a man that burdens his share of the blame and does not thrust it upon others, and a man that willingly accepts his role within society. Strout names said character, Harmon, and paints him in a very positive light throughout the novel. The event that struck me so clearly however, occurs when Harmon speaks about "young people" (80). The kind diction "young" sheds light upon his understanding that they may make mistakes yet his belief that the world unfairly blames them as the cause for "steering the world to hell" (80). He refutes this mainstream assertion by claiming "it's never true" (80). I have conflicting emotions about this section for the common belief that young people are in the wrong infuriates me because I beg the question... Who raised us??! How can you attack our actions when YOU and YOUR "elder and wiser" peers provided the example on how to speak, act, and live. Simultaneously however I am overjoyed by Harmon's characterization of adolescents as "hopeful and good" (80). I concur! I am very glad Strout at least includes this minimal positive light on the younger generation for I am of the opinion that she too sees the new generation as the downfall of the planet. Earlier on Strout writes of how Olive's son Christopher does not have any friends yet Olive is glad because "you can't trust folks" (68). Her obvious reference to people his age appalls me and forces me to question the bias behind the story. Thank you Harmon for sticking up for us.

-Rabindranath

No comments:

Post a Comment