Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Flaw in the Establishment

"Sometimes you are the pigeon, Sometimes you are the statue." A bird sits atop a statue covered in feces in the poster which displays the above quote. Not one day has passed in AP English, this year or last, that I have not taken note of the poster and self-evaluated whether the bird or the statue better fit my mentality on that particular day. The bird- on top of the world, graceful, content, and pooping on whatever happens to pass underway. The statue- lonely, filthy, victimized, and at the will of all animate objects. Some days I think about how similar to the statue my day progresses, and others, undoubtedly I feel like the pigeon. Yet upon recent observations of the poster, I stumbled upon a newfound realization. In my humble opinion, the creators of the poster woefully messed up! Allow me to explain. If anyone has studied the image as thoroughly as I, I would expect them to approach the same conclusion that I have: the statue represents the better human being and lifestyle! Take another glance at the poster! Why does the poster imply that we should put ourselves above others and sit on them and make them feel like crap (no pun intended!)? If I may re-analyze the figures: the bird- cocky, superior, ignorant, and one that must put others down to lift themselves up. Meanwhile the statue- selfless, independent, calm, and unaffected by other's rudeness. I am rather confused as to the creator's motive behind the poster and whether they recognize this as I have. Or, whether they assumed people would understand that the statue clearly embodies better character traits than the condescending pigeon and I have simply misinterpreted it these past years. Otherwise, why would these people advocate putting others down, and asserting our superiority over them as the pigeon has done? Has faculty not taught the students since day one to not let others affect us no matter how they treat us? As the articulate Allen Iverson once said, "homie, you gotta do you" I believe the statue perfectly practices this behavior. The statue remains standing and does not allow the defecating pigeon deter him from watching over the city! He ignores the "bully" and does not show weakness whatsoever yet refuses to retaliate in any manner. I greatly admire these positive and peaceful qualities in the stone. I did not reach this conclusion until today however, which just proves how if someone searches for hidden meaning long enough in something, they will find it. Therefore, I believe someone on the team that designed that poster must have recognized this flaw and simply wants those who ponder it long enough to achieve this insight. Please just take a quick glance at the image and reconsider which YOU prefer to act like and remember the personality traits I have identified in each.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, notice the pigeon poster almost daily, but I have never before seen the angle that you take on its relatively bizarre message. I think your view relates to another prominent poster in the room--"Keep calm and carry on." The pigeons may poop on us stone statues today, but we must stay calm in order to stand even taller tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete