Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Bobbie Jo Carraway... Oh Sorry, I Mean Nick Serensky?

I sat in class on Friday attempting to see the class and those in it from the perspective of Ms. Serensky. I tried to envision how she must see us. The task proved difficult for Ms. Serensky seems like a part of us, the group, yet detached in a superior sort of way as well. Then it hit me: The synonymous nature between Nick Carraway and Ms. Serensky astounds me. Nick finds himself as the intermediary for the materialistic and the unmaterialistic, while our teacher finds herself identifying with the task-masters, and the more laid-back students. Whilst Nick attends lavish parties in The Great Gatsby, he does not partake in the obessessing over material goods or substances as the other party-goers do. Similarly, Ms. Serensky sees herself in both types of students in the class, therefore can make accurate inferences in regards to each. Furthermore, I find it interesting how each enjoy simply sitting back and observing the ongiongs of the "party." Nick uses the outrageous parties Gatsby throws as a vehicle to monitor the actions of New York City's elite. Likewise, Ms. Serensky utilizes the classroom as a vehicle to monitor the actions of Chagrin Falls High School's "elite." Despite the fact that Fitzgerald wrote his novel in the early twentieth century and now nearly a century has passed, I see uncanny commonalities between even the personas at the parties and in the classroom. We have dominating figures, we have the quiet yet powerful, we have the loud but transparent, and we definitely have ladies trying to "swoon" the men of our class. This leads me back to the statement - "There is nothing new under the sun." Such a resounding statement with enormous impact if it holds true. Well clearly, in terms personalities in public places, the claim stands strong. Meanwhile, all this time Ms. Serensky sits back and observes. She sees the interactions between us immature adolescents and carefully notes them for her amusement I beleive. In mirror movements, Nick also stands apart from the party and takes note of the immature ADULTS who make fools of themselves in spite of the grandeur of the evening, simply for his enjoyment! If only Nick would try to play matchmaker amongst the guests, comparitively to how Ms. Serensky pairs writing partners to foster and encourage debate and quarrel. If this occurred, I would undertake the suspicion that Ms. Serensky uses F. Scott Fitzgerald as a pseudonym and crafted The Great Gatsby while envisioning herself as Nick!

2 comments:

  1. I often look at Ms. Serensky and wonder what she thinks as each student attempts to throw a comment into discussion. I agree completely that she sits there and silently judges us. She decides who will emerge as her next protege (Claire). I just hope I can live up to her expectations the next time I hurriedly talk in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post, Adam, because I too have felt curious about Ms. Serensky's thoughts on her students, although unlike Catherine I believe she finds snippets of our personal conversations more intriguing than our discussion comments. As a student I have always wondered about the lives of my teachers, and I like to flatter myself by imagining that our teachers (especially those as observant as Ms. Serensky) often wonder about us in return. After the presentation of our first-quarter quotes junior year I realized that Ms. Serensky actually hears much more than we think she does, and I find your comparison of her to the perceptive Nick dead on.

    ReplyDelete