Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Lose the Cynicism and Grow Up

           Thus far in my blogging career, I have acted as an adolescent. Actually, some would argue that I have blogged like an immature pre-teen. You know, that super awkward age where you think everything you say will make people laugh, you always want to act rather absurdly, and you question and debate everything? Anyway, I want this post to serve as something along the lines of my "Blogger Life puberty." I want to grow up, mature, become a man, and lose the childish absurdity and cynicism. I have grown tired of my incessant skepticism of what others say. I have grown tired of attempting to infuse ridiculous humor into every English assignment even though nearly all prohibit such a goal. Finally, I have grown tired of acting immaturely and outrageously in the classroom. I will attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the fall of 2013 as a born and bred Tar Heel. I have never found as much excitement in anything as I have in this. I will major in Computer Science and Engineering at UNC with a minor in Finance. The rigorous path I chose to put in my path will force me to hunker down and study frequently, so the University does not regret their offer of admission and toss me out as soon as I get there. However, although I have become accustomed to acting like an idiot in the majority of my classes, I am ready and willing to make this necessary change to a dedicated and enthusiastic student. I will do whatever it takes to dominate my classes at UNC and build a strong foundation of knowledge during my first year. College will give me a fresh start, a new identity. The opportunity to build a new reputation sits directly in front of me, and I simply must take it head on. Undoubtedly I will face challenges on this quest to form a better Adam Shoemaker, but I must conquer them so my peers view me as a leader in the class and try to emulate my work ethic. I do not want them to regard me as "dead weight" or  an unnecessary part of a research team, but rather I want them to regard me as the leader and the hardest worker. I will achieve this image by casting away my sarcastic, skeptical, lazy, and nonchalant attitude and develop one of intensity, enthusiasm, and open-mindedness. Currently, my opinion in group projects stands as follows, "the only way is my way." Bradley knows that better than anyone, but I want to change that aspect about myself and become an open-minded person that considers all opinions and suggestions. Perhaps, I will even become a liberal. All in all however, I want to abandon my immature attitude in the classroom, and crave that my peers look to me as an academic leader.

3 comments:

  1. While I doubt that you have sincerely tired of acting immaturely, I really admire the message in your heartfelt and only mildy sarcastic post. Many of our peers have written about achieving social excellence in college, and I appreciate your reminder that knowledge and academics remain the real purpose of college and of all of our efforts this year. I have every confidence that you will succeed as a leader at UNC next year - and I have abosolutely zero confidence in your ability to ever become a liberal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I never thought I would ever see the day you would admit any of this. I still cannot decide how to feel, besides shocked. I really cannot decipher if this entire writing is sarcastic, but I'm going to go with the fact that it is sincere. In this case, if you really can become what you hope, which I feel confident you can, you will certainly attain your desired personality, one that attracts people and welcomes people. I really hope you can pull it off...although I must say, I slightly doubt your ability to take other people's opinions or suggestions-at least seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On one hand, I admire your ambition in upholding a persona more conducive to success, but on the other, it seems as if you will stray to far from your roots. I agree that when it comes to the aspect of taking proper risks with oneself to help ensure a clearer path to a successful but you can not forget that some people will not like the guy who thinks "the only is my way" during team efforts. This all goes with assumption that you did not intend for this piece to come off as satirical, which I really can not tell.

    ReplyDelete